Numicon aims to help children’s understanding and enjoyment of maths. Numicon appreciates the complexity of early number ideas and seeks to foster confidence in children that they can solve mathematical challenges. Numicon uses a combination of action, imagery and conversation to help children understand and achieve in maths.
We have chosen this programme because:
- Numicon is a multi-sensory approach, that raises achievement across all mathematical ability levels.
- With problem-solving, reasoning and conversation at its heart, Numicon ensures every child can enjoy success in mathematics.
- It supports the Cambridge Primary Maths Curriculum framework for classroom use.
- It develops fluency by using a visual, practical base to develop conceptual understanding and fluent recall.
- It helps children to reason mathematically through the use of concrete objects and spoken language to explain and justify.